One of the great friends that I made in my time at Vanderbilt University was Kevin Blount. Kevin knew all the graduate students and professors, and often hosted dinners and movies at his nearby apartment.
Kevin ended up writing his Ph.D. dissertation On the Structure of Residuated Lattices with Constantine Tsinakis, and moved on to an academic position at Sacred Heart University in Connecticut.
Kevin passed away on May 30, 2006, which surprised all of us. I had just moved back East, and so one of the first trips was attending his memorial service at Sacred Heart.
At the end of 2008, Kevin’s wife, Xiaoyu, gave me Kevin’s math books. After some brief discussions with some mathematical colleagues, the books ended up being stored in my attic. I’m now offering these books to those who knew Kevin. I am sure that Kevin would have been happy to have his math books shared among his friends and colleagues, and I hope that this will help keep Kevin’s memory alive in the mathematical community.
If you are interested in some of the books below, leave a comment or contact me privately. I’ll send them your way. (Pardon the typos – I’ll correct those as they are noticed).
Kevin’s Math Books
Albert, Introduction to Algebraic Theories, Matt Insall Artin, Geometric Algebra, Tracts in Mathematics Number 3– John Raymonda
- Baumslag and Chandler, Group Theory
- Bennet, Affine and Projective Geometry
Bjarni Jonsson, Topics in Universal Algebra, Lecture Notes, Vanderbilt University, 1969-70– John Snow Bollobas, Graph Theory, GTM 63, Matt Insall
- Bond/Keane, An Introduction to Abstract Mathematics, Instructors
Bondy and Murty, Graph Theory with Applications, Matt Insall
- Bonele, Non-Euclidean Geometry, Dover
- Bourbaki, Elements of Mathematics, General Topology, Part 1, Addison Wesley
- Burnside, Theory of Groups of Finite Order, Princeton
- Curry, Foundations of Mathematical Logic, Dover
- Dieudonne, Introduction to the Theory of Formal Groups, Dekker
- Gruenberg and Weir, Linear Geometry, Van Nostrand
Hodel, An Introduction to Mathematical Logic– Jan Gałuszka
- Hall, The Theory of Groups, Macmillan
- Springer, Geometry and Analysis of Projective Spaces
- Sternberg, Lectures on Differential Geometry, Prentice Hall
- Hennie, Introduction to Computability
Lang, Introduction to Algebraic Geometry, Tracts in Mathematics Number 5– John Raymonda
- Hochschild, Introduction to Affine Algebraic Groups
- Nagaia, Local Rings, Tracts in Mathematics Number 13
- Spanier, Algebraic Topology
- Lipschitz, Discrete Mathematics, Schaum McGraw Hill
- Solutuion Manual for, Brooks/Cole
- Curtis Clark, An Approach to Graph Achievement Games: Ultimately Economical Graphs
Hungerford, Algebra, Springer 73– John Snow
- Mendelson, Introduction to Mathematical Logic, 3e, Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole Mathematics Series
- Moore, Elementary General Topology, Prentice-Hall
- Mitchell, Theory of Categories, Academic Press, Matheamtics XVII
Herken, The Universal Turing Machine, Oxford– John Snow
- ??, Fundamental Concepts of Algebra, Addison Wesley
- Kelley, General Topology, Van NostrandO??, Theory of LIE Groups, Princeton
- Munkres, Elements of Algebraic Topology
- Sawyer, A Geometric Approach to Abstract Algebra, Freeman
McCoy, Rings and Ideals– John Raymonda
- Smullyan, First-Order Logic, Dover
- Veblen and Young, Projective Geometry, Volume 1
Gelfond, Transcendental & Algebraic Numbers, Dover– John Snow Freese & McKenzie, Commutator Theory for Congruence Modular Varieties– Jonathan Farley Davey & Priestley, Introduction to Lattice and Order, Cambridge– John Snow An Algebraic Introduction to Matheamtical Logic, GTM 52– John Snow Categories for the Working Mathematician, GTM 5– John Snow
- Manin, A Course in Mathematical Logic, GTM 53
Burris/Sankappanavar, A Course in Universal Algebra, GTM 78– John Snow
- Hirsch, Differential Topology, GTM 33
- Gaum, Elements of Point Set Topology, Prentice-Hall
- Bourbaki, Elements of Mathematics, General Topology Part 2
- Eisenberg, Topology, Holt Rinehart Winston
- Pareigis, Categories and Functors
Kaplansky, Set Theory and Metric Spaces– John Raymonda McKenzie, McNulty, Taylor, Algebras, Lattices, Varieties, Volume I, Wadsworth & Brooks/Cole Matheamtics Series, – Jonathan Farley Monk, Mathematical Logic, GTM 37– John Snow Lightstone, Symbolic Logic and the REAL NUMBER SYSTEM– John Snow
- The Essentials of Logic
Halmos & Givant, Logic as Algebra– Jan Gałuszka Jacobson, Lectures in Abstract Algebra, I Basic Concepts, Van Nostrand– John Raymonda Husain, Introduction to Topological Groups, Matt Insall
- Tarski, Introduction to Logic and to the methodology of deductive sciences, Dover
Church, Introduction to Mathematical Logic, Princeton– John Snow
- Rosenbloom, an introduction to Symbolic Logic, Dover
- Krantz, How to Teach Mathematics: a personal perspective
- Thomas Rishel, Teaching First – A Guide for New Mathematicians, MAA
Hobby and McKenzie, The Structure of Finite Algebras, AMS Comm 76, – Jonathan Farley
2 responses to “Kevin’s Books”
I would be interested in the following. What would be the costs involved?
Jacobson, Lectures in Abstract Algebra, I Basic Concepts, Van Nostrand
Rings and Ideals
Sawyer, A Geometric Approach to Abstract Algebra, Freeman
Artin, Geometric Algebra, Tracts in Mathematics Number 3
Kaplansky, Set Theory and Metric Spaces
Introduction to Algebraic Geometry, Tracts in Mathematics Number 5
If the number is excessive, they are listed in order of preference.
Thank you for this offer.
I’ll check – I have one other request that came in last night. If you would reimburse me for postage, that would be great, and it’ll be media rate, so not expensive at all. What’s your mailing address?
Also, how did you come to know Kevin?